Saturday, February 7, 2009

Marley's Story

I love animals, especially dogs. This is definetly something I got from my Grandpa Bob. When you own a pet it is part of the family, equal to any human. That being said, I went to the pound with a little client and came across a little pup who touched my heart. Marley is a pure bred boxer who was picked up by animal control about a week and a half ago. She was found so malnourished that most of her little bones are visible. She was curled up in a little ball in the corner and at first I thought she was probably an agressive dog. Something about her piqued my interest so I asked about her at the front desk. One of the officers told me that she was not violent, just scared and unresponsive but that I could take her out into the play yard and see what I thought. They also told me that she did not have much time left and that if someone did not take her she would be put down on Monday morning. They were amazed that someone had not taken her already because she is a purebred and quite a nice looking dog. She is black with a white chest and paws. Usually I am saddened by these type of things, but am able to distance myself since we have such a sweet boxer at home that has a good life, but as it came time to leave I started crying. I knew we could not take another dog so I tried to keep under control, but as the afternoon wore on I found myself unable to control the emotion I felt seeing this dog that had been treated so badly on the verge of losing her life. I just kept thinking that she would make a really good pet for some little boy and she would never get the chance unless I did something about it. I asked many people I knew if they were interested in her, but did not get the feedback I was looking for. Finally, I called Dru in tears well aware that he would never agree to what I was going to ask him, but for some reason I asked him if we could take her in as a foster dog. Dru reluctantly said that we could so I made all of the arrangements and she was able to come home with me last night. At first she was very scared, but she is warming up to us more and more. She is still a little unsure of Maddie, but we were able to get both of them running around in the backyard together chasing a ball. It has been so fun to see the changes this little girl has made so quickly. I have high hopes for this puppy with a sweet demeanor despite all of the struggles she has had in her life. She has a rough road ahead of her because of all of the obvious abuse that she has endured, but I know that she will make a great dog for someone one day soon. We are so excited to have Marley with our family until she can find the perfect one of her own!

7 comments:

Amber said...

Yes, you definately take after Grandpa Bob when it comes to dogs, but I think I do too. That is why I can't spend time at places like the pound. You were so nice to foster Marley. I hope they can find a home for her soon.

Deborah Raymond said...

Ashlee... it's in the Ingram blood to rescue canines! I can't tell you how many times Ronda brought home lost dogs... Annie was from the pound and she only did that once but every furry four pawed creature that looked lost found a friend in Ronda!

bb,tonya and cam... said...

oh so cute! what a good person you are! how old is she!?

Terri French said...

You have a good heart!! Would you like a little schnauzer to go along with your other dogs?

ronda said...

Ashlee...wow! That sounds just like something I would have done! I cannot go to the pound or humane society...it breaks my heart!

Jenn said...

It think that it is genetic to love dogs and to have a soft spot of orphan puppies. He looks like a sweet dog.

Jason, Liz, and Troy said...

What a nice thing to do for her. It's a sad thing to see people treat helpless animals that way. You're probably her saving angel.